What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is an infectious disease, which can severely affect your lungs and airways. It is a newly discovered coronavirus. Through some simple steps, you can take care of yourself and your family.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
The symptoms of COVID-19 are as follows:
- High Fever
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Sneezing and runny nose
- Temporary loss of taste and smell
These symptoms may not always mean that you have COVID-19. The symptoms may be quite similar to other diseases like common cold and flu.
But, if the symptoms get worse with shortness of breath, then it might require immediate medical attention.
It takes a few days for the symptoms to show after a person gets infected. An infected person can pass on the virus to other people before they even start developing the symptoms. That is why you should be very careful, especially when you are out in public, like going to a grocery store, etc.
How can you protect yourself and others?
By following the tips below, you can protect yourself and other people:
- Use your elbow or cover your mouth and nose with tissues when you sneeze or cough.
- If you are in a place where there is no soap or water, use a hand sanitizer that contains 60% alcohol instead.
- Throw the used tissues in trash immediately.
- Always remember to frequently wash your hands with soap and water for about 20 seconds.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth, especially with unclean hands.
- Avoid sharing things like cup, food, bed, etc. with unwell people.
- Always clean and disinfect the most-touched surfaces and objects, like doorknobs.
- Stay home and self-isolate if you are not feeling well.
- Maintain a social distance of about 6 feet when you go out in public.
- Avoid any social gatherings.
- Wear a cloth mask when in public.
What to do if you are exposed to the disease?
People who came after a trip, or who feel they are exposed to COVID-19, need to self-isolate themselves to keep their communities safe. Self-isolation is an effective way to contain the spread of the virus. You can call your doctor and ask for further instructions.
You can call us at (212) 758-1000 and ask about any questions you have regarding your dental issues. We will happily guide you.